Mastering GIFs in Slack: A Comprehensive Guide
Published July 5, 2023
Slack is a popular collaboration platform that keeps teams connected and productive. Adding GIFs to your conversations on Slack can bring a touch of humor, express emotions, or enhance communication in a visually engaging way.
In this guide, we'll walk you through the process of adding and sharing GIFs in Slack, allowing you to level up your communication game. Let's get started!
Adding a GIF in Slack
- Open your Slack workspace or channel where you want to add the GIF.
- Click on the text input field to start composing a message.
- To add a GIF, you have a few options:
a. Use the Slack GIF button: Click on the smiley face icon located in the text input field. From the pop-up menu, select the GIF tab, and then use the search bar to find a GIF that suits your message.
b. Use the Slack slash command: Type "/giphy [search term]" in the text input field, replacing [search term] with keywords related to the GIF you're looking for.
c. Use an external GIF website: Find a GIF on a separate website or through a GIF search engine, copy the GIF's URL, and paste it directly into the text input field. Slack will automatically display the GIF.
Sharing GIFs in Slack
- After you've added a GIF to your message, you can include additional text if desired.
- Press Enter or click the Send button to share your message with the GIF.
- The GIF will appear in the conversation for all participants to see and enjoy.
Creating Custom Slack Emoji GIFs
- Slack allows you to create custom emojis, including animated GIFs.
- Visit the Slack workspace where you have permission to manage emoji.
- Click on your workspace name in the top-left corner and select "Customize Slack" from the dropdown menu.
- Choose "Custom Emoji" and click the "Add Custom Emoji" button.
- Upload the GIF you want to use as a custom emoji and give it a name.
- Save your changes, and the custom GIF emoji will be available for use by typing ":" followed by the emoji name.
Advanced Slack GIF Tips
- Use reactions: React to a message containing a GIF with a specific emoji to show your appreciation or response.
- Integrate GIF apps: Install Slack apps like GIPHY, Tenor, or Emojify to enhance your GIF-searching capabilities and access a wider range of GIFs.
- Respect workplace guidelines: Remember to use GIFs responsibly and in line with your organization's guidelines to maintain a professional and inclusive environment.
- Consider file size and context: Ensure the GIF you choose is appropriate for the conversation and consider the file size to avoid slow loading times or bandwidth issues.
With the ability to add GIFs in Slack, you can inject fun and visual communication into your conversations. From using the built-in Slack GIF button to creating custom emoji GIFs, you have various options to express yourself and engage with your team. Just remember to use GIFs in a thoughtful and respectful manner, keeping workplace guidelines and etiquette in mind. So, let your creativity flow, add some GIF magic to your Slack conversations, and enjoy the vibrant and animated communication experience it brings!