How to Add GIFs in Figma: A Step-by-Step Guide
Published July 4, 2023
Figma is a powerful design tool that allows designers to create interactive and visually appealing prototypes. While Figma primarily focuses on static designs, you can also add GIFs to your prototypes to create dynamic and engaging experiences.
In this guide, we'll walk you through the process of adding GIFs in Figma, as well as exporting them for sharing and presentation purposes. Let's dive in!
Importing a GIF into Figma:
- Launch Figma and open your project.
- Select the frame or component where you want to add the GIF.
- Go to the "Insert" menu at the top of the screen and choose "Image" from the dropdown.
- Browse your computer or drag-and-drop the GIF file into the file selection window.
- Once the GIF is imported, you can resize and reposition it within the frame or component to achieve the desired placement.
Creating a GIF in Figma:
- If you want to create a GIF directly within Figma, you can use animation tools and plugins to bring your designs to life.
- Explore plugins like "GifMock" or "Anima" available in the Figma plugin library.
- Install and activate the plugin of your choice, and follow the instructions provided to create animations or transitions.
- Customize the animation settings, such as duration, easing, and loop options, to achieve the desired effect.
- Preview and fine-tune your animation until you're satisfied with the result.
Exporting a GIF from Figma:
- To export your GIF from Figma, go to the "File" menu at the top of the screen and select "Export" from the dropdown.
- Choose the format as "GIF" from the available export options.
- Specify the export settings, such as size, quality, and frame delay, according to your requirements.
- Select the frames or components containing the GIFs that you want to export, or export the entire project.
- Choose the destination folder where you want to save the exported GIF and click "Export."
- Figma will process the export, and once completed, you can locate the GIF file in the specified folder.
Sharing and Presenting Your GIFs:
- Now that you have your GIF exported, you can use it for various purposes.
- Share your GIF on social media platforms, such as Twitter, LinkedIn, or Dribbble, to showcase your design skills and attract attention.
- Incorporate the GIF into presentations or design portfolios to create an interactive and engaging visual experience.
- Embed the GIF on your personal website or blog to add a touch of interactivity to your design showcase.
- Collaborate with team members or clients by sharing the GIF through communication tools like Slack, email, or project management platforms.
Adding GIFs in Figma can elevate your design prototypes and bring them to life. Whether you import existing GIFs or create animations within Figma itself, GIFs offer a visually dynamic way to engage your audience. With the ability to export GIFs from Figma, you can easily share and present your designs in an interactive format. So, unleash your creativity, experiment with GIFs, and captivate your viewers with delightful and engaging prototypes in Figma.